Plumbing Service or Plumber
Let’s be honest. We have all heard a zillion plumber jokes, so much so that when the time comes that you need one, finding a plumber might be a little bit scary. Sure, if you have a friend who knows a good plumber you are pretty, but what if you don’t? What things should you look for in a reputable plumber?
First of all, it is important to know that there are different kinds of plumbers and who you pick will depend on the scope of your job. Needless to say, you should always go with a licensed and insured plumber. But did you know that plumbers are classified based upon how long they have been working and the types of certifications that they have?
- Master Plumber - A master plumber is a licensed professional who installs and repairs various commercial and residential plumbing systems. He or she might specialise in designing new systems, laying or fitting pipes, or performing repairs and maintenance on appliances and fixtures. To earn this designation, a plumber not only needs to have passed rigorous testing and certification but also needs to have accumulated many years of practical experience.
Journeyman Plumber - A journeyman plumber is an individual with a working skill of plumbing systems and can perform a variety of duties, including installation, repair and maintenance. He usually works under the guidance of a master plumber but can be trusted to complete many tasks without direct supervision.
- Apprentice Plumber - The term "Apprentice" applies to a person who is learning the trade under the direction, supervision and control of a Licensed Master Plumber or Gas Fitter.
You also need to know that there are different types of plumbing, and you will need to pick one who specialises in the type of project you need done.
- Water Plumbing - Installation, removal, repair and maintenance of hot and cold water pipes and fittings.
- Sanitary Plumbing - Installation, removal, renewal, repair and maintenance of pipes, including ventilation of those pipes and fittings to receive and convey sewage.
- Drainage - Installation, removal, repair and maintenance of stormwater and waste pipes and fittings.
- Mechanical Services - Work on heating, cooling or ventilation of buildings which may include installation, removal, repair and maintenance of pipes, valves, regulators, tanks, evaporative cooling, ventilation and air conditioning systems.
- Roofing - Installation, renewal, repair and maintenance of roof coverings and roof water systems such as gutters, rainwater piping and downpipes.
- Gas Services - Installation, disconnection, repair and maintenance of pipes, fittings, appliances and associated ventilation equipment involving gases such as fuel, liquefied petroleum, manufactured and natural gases.
Did you know…
Monday is the busiest day for most plumbers. According to an article in Reader’s Digest
, plumbers say it’s because it’s the day that wives call them to correct the “work” their husbands did over the weekend.